Data Mine Results

Digital Tattoo Investigation

Nearly one month ago, I learned about "Digital Visitors" versus "Digital Residents". For those that don't know the difference, David White coined this concept to discern internet usage. Some use the internet for a quick search on Google, others register an account on an app to post consistently with others. I classified myself as a Digital Resident as I spend most of my time in digital spaces. However, this comes with a price. In order to become a resident, a sacrifice must be made in the form of sharing information. Examples include sharing your personal experiences, registering for an account under your email and/or name, or posting personal photos. Many of us probably own social media accounts, and comment, like, or share content without thinking of the permanence it has.

I was born during the technology boom during the 1990's/2000's. Social media was still a relatively new concept as I grew up, and most of the kids my age posted photos or locations without even thinking of how it could impact us years down the road. Even today, I am still navigating what I should post on the internet since most of my family and friends use it as a means to keep up with each other.

This week, I explored the concept of a "Digital Tattoo", which is the data we leave on the internet that can impact how we are perceived by others. Here are the 7 sites I used to research my online presence:

  1. Twitter
  2. People Finder
  3. Facebook
  4. Google
  5. LinkedIn
  6. Intellus
  7. Spokeo

Results

1. Twitter

Since my Twitter is relatively new, not much came up on my search. Below is what did pop up, featuring Nicole (@nmzumpano)! Both results were the product of the Twitter #edChat and #slowchat. If one were to look on my Twitter, it is mainly for educational purposes. This observation highlights Sherry Turkle's concept of "identi-frag", or choosing what parts of our identity we share depending on the site and our intent. For example, I chose to keep Twitter as a place for my identity as an educator, and would probably not share leisure activities or follow personal friends on the account.

My Twitter Results [Image Source: Lauren Johnson]


2. People Finder

I was surprised to see just how many applications are associated with my name and email. When the image below was loading, I often said, "Oh, I forgot I had an account with them!". I was kind of embarrassed at the fact that I left so much data out there that I had forgotten some accounts I had!

People Finder Processing Page [Image Source: Lauren Johnson]


3. Facebook

Facebook is one of my longest social media applications. I couldn't find my original Facebook from 2011, but I do still have one. It is hard to locate my Facebook via Google unless I type my partners name with it since he has a more uncommon name. Then, posts where my name is commented will show up alongside my partner.

While I don't feel comfortable sharing images of my Facebook on my blog, I do keep most of my posts closed to the public. The general public who views my profile will see my school, name, and profile picture. They might also see posts others sent to me, or tagged me in. So, it made me think about other people's influence on my "digital tattoo".


4. Google

Since "Lauren Johnson" is a rather common name, it was hard to discern between what content actually was mine. However, I did find some posts relating to me. They are when I won an art contest in 2013 and 2017, as well as when I won a senior award in 2021. It was great to discover the art posts, since I do not have a copy saved. They are featured below:

My Google Results [Image Source: Lauren Johnson]


5. LinkedIn

I asked my friend to look up my LinkedIn because I could not view mine without logging in. Here is what shows up. It reveals where I work, which is Dominican University. I realize that even though this is a professional site, I have received inappropriate messages in the past. Thus, it makes me think that revealing my place of employment on this application could pose a safety issue.

LinkedIn Profile [Image Source from Henry Ptack]

6. Intellus

Here was an interesting find! I was shocked that when the report was generating, it associated my profile with a couple dating sites, as seen below. I have never, and don't plan to, sign up for any dating site or app. The image below says my identify may be found on those sites, so it is not definite. Unfortunately, I did not sign up for the full report to get more context for it. However, it makes me wonder if anyone has used my identity to make an account on these different sites. All they need is my email, first and last name, and possibly my city. Those are common information that can be leaked at any time. It does concern me, and makes me wonder "How badly can someone damage my character using my identity on sites I am not aware of?"

Intellus Processing Page [Image Source: Lauren Johnson]

7. Spokeo

For Spokeo, I was not able to find myself using my name since it is pretty common. However, it did find my mother's name when I typed in an older email I had. Again, it kind of creates anxiety knowing people can purchase a report on me or a family member. Spokeo goes the extra mile by saying the profile owner will not be notified that people are purchasing their information! This statement is featured below:

Spokeo Download Page [Image Source: Lauren Johnson]


Implications for Students

Speaking from experience, I had a Facebook and Tumblr at 11 years old. If I knew that some of my content could be accessible 10+ years down the road, I would have been more careful. There are still photos of me as a teenager that are (quite) embarrassing that aren't easily accessible because I didn't use my real name, but they still exist online!

I think students as young as 6 years old should be taught since technology is so accessible these days. The saying "It takes a village..." definitely applies here. Parents need to be aware of their child's activity. Teachers can provide resources for parents to have conversations with their child, or teach students digital safety. I have had a fair share of conversations with students about sending inappropriate content, cyberbullying, or posting revealing information. 

However, it is not always the child's fault. A topic of debate is "Teacher Influencers" posting student's faces in their posts. Also, parents post their newborns with their full name and birthdate, which can leave them vulnerable to identity theft. Adults need to be aware of what they are posting since the children are not able to consent, and it could affect their lives growing up. Overall, the internet can be a great place to share experiences to connect with others, but we must do it with caution.


References

1. Higgin, T. (2022). Keeping your students (and yourself) safe on social media: A checklist. Common Sense.

2. Turkle, S. (2022) Sherry Turkle. Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Comments

  1. Excellent point about how in some instances others are building our digital tattoos for us. Sites like Spokeo and People Finder generate revenue with the "shock value" of saying you may be able to see content that might not be there. Still, as you saw, they do have access to a lot of public information which to your point can be unnerving.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment